Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day Rendezvous 2009

We went to Rendezvous again this year for our Memorial Day weekend. First off I want to recap how the weather was. Friday night: rain. Saturday night: more rain. Sunday night: even more rain. Surprisingly it was dry throughout the daytime. We are lucky to have a leak proof tent that is more like a big room (both Dusty and I can stand up in it and still have room to spare). Usually it rained right after dinner so we would head to the tent and turn on a DVD for the kids (I know, watching movies is not really camping. But hey, we've got it and it keeps the kids quiet while stuck in a tent).


Dusty wore "Mountain-Man" attire all weekend. All of what he is wearing was made by he and I. He did all of the leather work; pants, moccasins, impossibles bag, gun holster and I sewed the shirt (with the help of a friend in the ward).






The kids had a great time playing with friends and exploring. They played on the rope swing and in the creek. They did sack races, three-legged races, mini mountain man runs, hawk throwing and bobbed for apples. Dusty and I had a great time shooting and throwing hawks. It was so nice to get away for a long weekend and spend time together as a family.

In the end, Dusty placed 1st in the tomahawk throw and 3rd in the pistol shoot. I placed 1st in the women's knife throw and 3rd in the women's tomahawk throw.


I always leave rendezvous motivated to go home and sew more clothing. I still don't have any "period clothing" and I have all of these ideas for the girls and Jacob. Below are some pictures of the kids.










We were glad to get away from life and camp out on the beautiful Nebraska land that God has provided for us. Happy Memorial Day!!

5 comments:

gayle said...

dIRECT tv WAS INVENTED FOR CAMPING TO KEEP UP WITH FOOTBALL AND bASKETBALL GAMES. tHE REASON sHERRY WON THE kNIFE AND TOMAHAKW THROWS WAS BECAUSE SHE PRACTICES ALL THE TIME THROWING THINGS AT dUSTY.

Kristin Burke Sevinc said...

hahaha... period clothing! Funny in so many ways! :O)

Sherrie said...

Kristin, I knew one of the Burkes would make that comment!! I should have said "time period". Oh well. Too late now.

Madison Grunig said...

Sounds like lots of fun! I loved looking at all the pictures, too. You guys have such cute kids.

The Haley Family said...

It was fun to be there and see what you guys do there! I could see us getting into something like that! Thanks for letting us invade! :)