Thursday, December 24, 2009

December Happenings

Happy Christmas Eve Everyone,

I realize that I have not posted much about what we have done during the holiday season this year and thought I would share a little.

The end of November and beginning of December were full of practices for both Dusty and I. Our ward puts on a creche for the public to view. They include hundreds of nativities from all over the world and have different performers. There are rooms with beautiful artwork and a live nativity. The primary room hosts a children's nativity with dress-up clothes and a manger scene that the kids can go in and act out. This lasts three days and at the end there is a Messiah performance by choir and orchestra and a sing-in for the public. Dusty and I had the opportunity to participate; Dusty sang baas in the choir and I played violin in the orchestra. It was a beautiful and fulfilling event to participate in.

Dusty and I attended his work Christmas party near the middle of the month. It was held at a hotel this year. There was a raffle, dancing, and food. I was able to squeeze one slow dance out of Dusty and that was it. I hit the dance floor more with the ladies he works with and we had a blast dancing! It was great for me to finally meet Dusty's boss and other co-workers.

Emma had a special program at school this year. She sang Christmas songs for us and was way too cute. She also performed a nativity scene with dolls and a manger. Her part/doll was one of the stars. To top off the fun we had cookies and milk with our preschoolers.

Jacob and Alexis have been enjoying no school. They have been out for one week and have thoroughly enjoyed playing with friends, staying in pajamas until past lunch time, and eating way too many goodies (thanks to the goodies our neighbors continue to bring by).

Over the past month Dusty and I have also been participating in the ward choir. This last Sunday was our Christmas program for church. The music was beautiful! Dusty sang a solo of Silent Night. He brought tears to my eyes; actually I sobbed...couldn't even sing. The spirit that Dusty brought to the room when he opened his mouth was unbelievable. I love Christmas music and love the message and the way it can touch souls.

We got an early Christmas present this year. Athena has joined our family. She is a 10-month old torty cat. She has beautiful coloring and is on the smaller side. I went and picked her out at the shelter and came home and surprised the kids. She has adjusted well and has already found her favorite spot on the couch to lay in the sun and take her morning naps. Her favorite toys are strings and pretend mice. The kids love playing with her and have made toys out of empty wrapping paper rolls and Christmas string. We missed our cat, Angel, terribly and knew that we wanted to have another kitty in our family. We are so excited to have Athena join the Burke family!

This week we had the Gardner family over to watch the BYU game. Their kids are the same ages as our kids and they all get along really well. We really never even hear from them when we hang out because they are off playing. We ate beef and chicken kabobs and had salsa and bread and cupcakes. yum, yum. You will probably hear me talk more about this family because they have become very good friends to us. We are blessed to have met a family such as them and are truly grateful for their friendship.

Last night a group of us in our neighborhood got together and went caroling. We all made treats and met at my friend Kalyn's house. We put them on plates for people and headed out with our Santa hats on and our singing voices primed. We had sooooo much fun. Dusty and I were surprised how much the kids enjoyed it. They sang so loud and couldn't wait to go to the next house. And still this morning Emma was singing and asked me to write down the words to Christmas songs on a piece of paper so that she could go and pretend to carol in her bedroom. It was such a blessing to make people smile. Last night I felt the true meaning of the Christmas spirit beyond measure. I am so grateful for the opportunity we had to spend time this Christmas season brightening others lives with music and friendship.

Lastly, tonight we celebrated Christmas Eve as a family. This is our first Christmas in North Carolina. The weather was so beautiful today that at times I did not even wear a jacket as I was out delivering gifts. After we all returned home, we set out a big spread of food. We had ham, rolls, chips, salsa, crackers, dip, chocolate, fudge, cookies, carrots, hot chocolate and more. Weeks ago Dusty promised the kids that they could eat junk on Christmas eve and he made sure we fulfilled that promise. Jacob ate chips and fudge for dinner (gross to me, but he was happy). Any time people asked us what we were doing for x-mas eve the kids would tell them "we're eating JUNK!". Before we ate we sat down and read the Bible story of Jesus birth in Luke chapter 2. Afterwards we ate our junk and watched A Christmas Carol. This is one of Dusty's favorite Christmas movies. Emma fell asleep watching it (1 down, 2 to go). Dusty is watching Star Wars with the kids right now and I am having "Sherrie time". We are excited to be making memories with our children and beginning traditions. We have been blessed in so many ways and are humbled and grateful to be able to celebrate the birth of Christ, our Savior and Redeemer. We are grateful for His gift to us and pray that we can live worthily to return and live with him some day.

We miss our families and hope that they, like us, are having a Merry Christmas! We love all of you very much.

Love,

Dust, Sher, Lex, Jake, & Em

3 comments:

gayle said...

We also had a great Christmas. Christmas Eve we went to Jason's and Jodee's and had dinner and just goofed off. It was great not having to worry about santa things. Glad you all had a Merry Christmas, but staying in PJs until 3:00 pm doesn't make sense. love ya grandpa Burke

Her Royal Highness said...

Merry Christmas! It sounds like you have had an amazing time creating Christmas memories with your kids! How lovely. :D
We too went caroling for the first time and had a great time!
I'm glad you're adjusting well and that you've found some good friends!
Love you!

The Haley Family said...

Wow, what a great December!!! I am so jealous of your music talent! Every year I think I should join the choir and then I chicken out! I am SO HAPPY you found a family that you are close to, yeah!!!

I love the "junk" dinner, that is what we had Christmas day! We let the kids eat whatever they could find that the adults didn't have to make. Great idea!!

Hugs!