Monday, October 6, 2008

New calling for me

I have accepted a new calling in our ward. This change came as a huge shock to me! I thought that the Bishop wanted to talk to us about who he was calling as my den leader in scouts. Boy was I wrong. I was released as the the 1st Counselor in the Primary Presidency and called to be the Activity Days Leader AND the Youth Sunday School Teacher.

My new callings have proven to be very different than the world I was used to. I was in charge of the Cub Scouts (when the Bishop told me I was being released the first words out of my mouth were "What about my boys?"). Boys are easy going and tend to be on the tougher side. Now I have girls who are soooooo emotional, I finally told the Bishop that I thought he might have the wrong lady as I didn't know what to do with all of their emotions. The Bishop thought that I was funny and said "Now, Sister Burke....". I know, I know, I need to learn how to deal with all of those girls and their emotions as I have 2 girls of my own, one of which is in Activity Days.

My other calling is with the Youth; totally different from teaching Primary kids. This Sunday will be my first week teaching, so wish me luck! I have been told that there is one kid that is a scholar and is very knowledgeable about the scriptures. I am a little intimidated about being corrected by a teenager as I know that I do not know everything about the scriptures. I only know how they make me feel and that I know they are true.

So if any of you have been in these calling before, or are in them now I would love any ideas or advice you have to offer.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Wow! Congratulations! You will do wonderful there. I wish I had advice for you, but I don't. Follow your heart - when you teach with that you can't go wrong! Good luck!!!

The Haley Family said...

glad you finally get to teach on Sunday! *wink*

I'm trying to take care of 'your boys' in scouts!!